The different steps of a swimming pool construction
We have detailed the different phases of pool work in this article but we summarise them here.
- The design of the project.
- The administrative procedures: these depend on the size of the project and range, from a total exemption from formalities to the application for a building permit.
- The earthwork which consists in digging the land according to the design plan carried out.
- The assembly of the structure: masonry, reinforced concrete or prefabricated panels according to the choice of the pool building system.
- The installation of the pipes, fittings and filtration system.
- The laying of the interior lining of the pool.
When reading this list, it becomes clear that different construction specialists must be involved during the construction: one or more masons of course, a plumber for the filtration and another for the application of the finishing coat of the pool. If you call in a general contractor, then you only have one contact person.
What does the follow-up of swimming pool works consist of?
During the whole construction site, the masons, plumber and coating specialist have crossed interventions. By this, I mean that the plumber will have to work at the time of pouring the bottom of the pool or during the raising of the walls to install various pipes and test them. These interventions are relatively short but it is imperative to respect them.
Moreover, it is not uncommon for errors to occur during the work. Supervision is therefore necessary in order to remedy defects as soon as possible. It must be carried out by someone with good knowledge of the pool.
Who supervises the construction of a swimming pool?
When you entrust the construction of your swimming pool to a general contractor or a pool builder, they normally take care of monitoring the work of their workers and the progress of the construction. They are also responsible for the coordination of the different tasks.
However, if you decide to build yourself or with craftsmen, you will have to carry out the swimming pool site supervision yourself. If this is the case, it is imperative that you have some knowledge in construction or that you can be assisted by an external person with these skills. The main advantage is that you will be informed of problems or mistakes during the construction phase and not afterwards. The major disadvantage is that it can sometimes be time consuming. You can delegate this task to someone on site or ask swimming pool specialists to take care of it remotely.
How monitoring sites remotely works
Today, thanks to modern medias of communication, many things can be done at a distance and this is no longer surprising to anyone: a meeting between interlocutors located in the four corners of the world, a surgeon operating on a patient several thousand kilometres away, etc… It is also possible to follow swimming pool work from a distance. No special equipment is required for this; photos, videos and the eye of an expert are all that is needed.
For many years now we have been successfully experimenting with this with many customers and it has become our speciality.
Different cases can occur; this list is not exhaustive but is only intended to give examples:
- A customer asks us to draw up the plans for his swimming pool but, when the time comes to build it, he wants us to help him as a self-builder or to support the craftsmen he hired to build the pool. We have long realised that even very detailed plans are not always enough.
- Another case: a customer already has plans drawn up by an architect for his entire house and wants the assistance of a swimming pool professional during the construction phase.
This way of working will allow you to make substantial savings, but above all to build the pool in the right way for your complete satisfaction.
The medias used for a pool site supervision
With the help of photos or videos taken at key moments in the construction process, it is possible for us to correct any mistakes, or to ensure that the details indicated in the plans have been followed. The response is within 24 hours, or even less in the case of an emergency. Explanatory diagrams or sketches sent in addition by e-mail or instant messaging allow construction details to be clarified.
WhatsApp is easy to use, but Skype or FaceTime also allow you to hold site meetings with outstanding video quality.
Benefits of remote site monitoring
The remote pool site supervision has multiple advantages:
- It reduces drastically the cost of travel, not only the cost of the expenses themselves, but also the time lost, which is also usually billed.
- It is therefore possible to follow work sites thousands of kilometres away without breaking the bank. Even customers located in countries where there are few or no pool builders can therefore benefit from professional advice.
- In the event of imponderables on the building site, and there are always some, this allows an almost immediate action without waiting for the next building site meeting or the next visit of the person in charge of the work.
- The site meetings can be held even if the project manager is not on site thanks to video-conferences with several people.
- The photos or videos can be studied completely; it is not uncommon for certain details to escape the agitation of a site meeting.
This mission of remote monitoring is always proposed in our services and our customers are free to choose it or not, at the beginning or after the realisation of the plans.
For those whose project scope requires a continuous presence on site, you can visit Serge’s personal website. Do not hesitate to contact him, he will be able to direct you to the best formula for you.