Infinity pools require a lot of organization. Building a dream pool is a long process, starting with the design and ending with its launch.
The order of priority before construction
Between the decision to have a custom-made pool and the groundbreaking, steps and decisions will need to be made.
Finding the right location
It is necessary to follow a few rules to reduce regrets or administrative refusals. It is strongly recommended that you build your in-ground or above-ground pool in a sunny area. Swimming pools must be sheltered from the wind to prevent cooling of the water. Last but not least, it is recommended to avoid placing the pool near trees to avoid complicating maintenance.
Choosing the right position in relation to the house is crucial for harmonizing the visual effect. Pools aren’t just built for swimming, they also provide a relaxing environment and a view of the water from the living room. The garden and pool must be harmoniously interconnected.
In addition to following subdivision rules, the overflow pool needs to comply with the local urban plan. The distance between neighbors varies from municipality to municipality. You should check your municipality’s town planning documents before building an infinity pool or a zero-edge pool.
Selecting the type of overflow
The type of overflow depends on the land profile, the desired effect, and the facilities surrounding the pool.
When the ground slopes, you can replace one side of the coping with a weir. Patios and flat backyards with pools with peripheral weirs create a soothing atmosphere conducive to relaxation. Swimming indoors or undercover is the obvious choice for bathing 365 days a year; an in-ground zero-edge pool is a must.
Drawing up plans (construction plan, filtration layout, etc.)
Buying a polyester shell from a pool manufacturer or having a pool constructed by a pool builder does not require precise plans. Alternatively, you can build your own infinity pool or zero-edge pool if you have detailed plans.
Ground plans and sections help construct the structure, which includes the pool bottom (flat or sloped), the pool walls, the overflow channel, the buffer tank, and the submerged deck and stairs.
With a piping drawing, the parts can be positioned in the proper position at the bottom of the pool or inside the walls. In addition, they show the network of pipes leading to the pump room. The filtration system installation layout shows how the various in-ground pool equipment is connected.
Plans are more than just documents. This is a real guide that gives you better budget and construction guidelines. In light of this, they shouldn’t be done at random. It is highly recommended that you leave the creation of pool plans to an expert if you want them to be the most effective. For spillover pools, this is especially true.
Estimating the cost of the pool project
Before you build or have a pool contractor build your infinity pool, you must estimate its cost. Among other things, you will need to choose the type of overflow (partial or peripheral), the structure (shell or masonry), and the equipment for the pool. Oftentimes, a pool’s price doesn’t meet your desires, your personal preferences, or your budget.
Infinity pools can be designed in a way that makes the right trade-offs for your needs. When setting a budget, always allow for a margin.
Authorizations and Building Permits
Those living in France and overseas who speak English will find this information helpful.
Infinity pools or deck level pools require fairly basic formalities: a declaration of work must be filed with the town hall. It is imperative that the project respects the Local Urbanism Plan (PLU). The construction of pools larger than 100 m2 requires a building permit
Priorities during construction
The general steps for making a pool
- Plotting: This is done by transferring the exact location of the pool to the ground along with its dimensions or size.
- Excavation: this should be done in accordance with the pool’s enlarged dimensions
- Drainage: Ensure that runoff does not cause pressure on the pool
- Pools can be constructed from reinforced concrete, shotcrete, or shuttering blocks. Lost polystyrene form work is also an option.
- Piping: Inlet and suction outlets in the pool are connected to the filtration pump in the plant room by rigid PVC pipes.
- Backfilling: Before completing an in-ground or semi-in-ground swimming pool, the surrounding trenches must be filled with soil.
- Filtration pump (pump room): Plumbing lines from the pool are connected to filtration pumps, which connect to filters, water treatment systems, and heat pumps.
- Almost all coatings, including mosaic or plaster, can be applied to shotcrete pools and cast concrete pools, etc. Masonry pools must have a liner or reinforced PVC membrane to ensure waterproofing and strength.
- Installing the coping stones: The swim pool construction is near completion. The process is carried out simultaneously with the coating of the pool deck or with the installation of decorative rocks.
- Watering the pool: An in-ground pool with a liner or reinforced membrane should be filled immediately after coating installation. Polyester resin and tiles require a drying period to ensure durability.
Steps involved in the construction of a negative edge or deck level pool
- A surge tank, also called a balance tank: It is an essential part of the construction and renovation of an overflow pool. The level of water remains constant due to it. A regular pool with skimmers does not have it.
- Water volume regulator (probe and solenoid valve): it regulates the pool’s water level.
- The annexed overflow pump (or booster pump): it increases the water flow and is only necessary for long weirs.
- Gutters: These channels are located below the pool and collect water that flows through the overflow.
- The water line: the uniformity of the water line over the entire overflow level is the key to success.
Post-construction of an overflow pool: the essentials
Pool safety features
The following information will be helpful for those living in France and overseas who speak English.
In-ground pools must be equipped with a safety system, whether they are reinforced concrete or masonry pools, modular panel pools or polyester shell pools. The choice must be made from the following list:
- Barrier of protection as defined in NF P 90-306
- Alarm system in accordance with NF P 90-307
- A pool safety cover that conforms to NF P 90-308A pool shelter that meets NF P 90-309 requirements
Maintenance items for clean water
Maintaining your infinity pool is easier than maintaining a traditional pool. You rarely use manual accessories such as a vacuum or a net, or more sophisticated ones such as an automatic pool cleaner. The overflow is powered by reverse hydraulics, which means dirt cannot settle at the bottom and is evacuated by the weir. For the maintenance and disinfection of the pool water, electrolysis can be used to replace products such as chlorine.
A wide range of pool accessories such as sunshades, shade sails or sunbeds are chosen according to the desired atmosphere.
Conseil Morana assists you in the construction of infinity pools and deck level pools
With over 30 years’ experience in negative and zero-edge pools, it is their pleasure to share the knowledge they have gained over that time with you. Depending on your budget and your desires, they will help you define the various components of your project. There are three factors that must be considered when drawing up the construction plans for your overflow pool: aesthetics, durability, and adaptability.
You should not hesitate to ask for a free estimate if you wish to have an expert guide you through your project.