To build your own pool or work with non-specialist craftsmen, you should look for the simplest solutions. Concrete shuttering blocks are a safe and easy way to construct an infinity pool. In-ground or semi-inground pools can be constructed with this concrete structure.
Focus on concrete shuttering blocks for pools
A masonry pool built with hollow blocks is only suitable for building a traditional pool with small skimmers and cannot use all types of linings. We are referring to pools constructed with concrete blocks filled with poured concrete. You can find more information about pool linings in this post.
Formwork blocks are made of factory-molded concrete; unlike hollow blocks, they have holes at the base and are assembled with dry cement. There are 1 or 2 cells in each block for passing steel reinforcement necessary to construct reinforced concrete pool walls. The blocks are used as lost formwork and filled with concrete delivered by lorry or mixed on site; the concrete has to be fluid enough to be pumped down through the inter connected cavities in the blocks. In this way, the concrete is poured smoothly, forcing out air and eliminating segregation, resulting in walls that are extremely compressive and lateral strong.
The construction is like that of concrete forming panels, but it does not require any expensive equipment: there are no metal or wood panels and no concrete sprayer is required.
Note: Polystyrene blocks for swimming pools have been developed as an alternative to concrete shuttering blocks. While this formwork is lighter, it will require a PVC reinforced membrane or a liner to make the pool waterproof. If you’re interested in building a pool using polystyrene blocks, read on.
Using concrete shuttering blocks to build an overflow pool
This method can be used to construct rectangular as well as free-form pools. . A pool built with these materials will last longer and be more durable than a masonry pool.
It reduces the cost of the pool while offering high durability. As a result, it is possible to avoid sacrificing what is so fundamental to the aesthetics of the pool: the finishing touches, such as decking, coping, etc.
Swimming pools can also be refurbished with it. A regular pool can also be converted into an infinity or zero-deck pool using concrete formwork blocks.
Owners of infinity pools and deck level pools built with blocks share their opinions
There are advantages and disadvantages to building an infinity pool from concrete blocks.
- Walls can be put up easily by a bricklayer or do-it-yourselfer with experience in masonry. It is not advisable to undertake this endeavor alone if you have never constructed a concrete swimming pool before
- You can use this concrete structure to build any type of pool, swimming corridor or relaxation and bathing area. Using blocks, you can create an infinity pool.
- All pool coatings are permitted, including liners, mosaics, and glass fiber reinforced resins.
- There is no limit to the shapes that can be created. Custom-made pools with rounded forms require more plastering work.
- Cutting out the blocks and inserting the parts required for the filtration system to work (bottom drain, projectors, suction nozzle, or delivery nozzle) is easy.
- Concrete formworked with panels or shotcrete has much higher construction costs. Swimming pool prices are discussed in this article.
- Handling the blocks is difficult due to their weight
- It is imperative to apply a waterproofing coating before tiling.
Construction of infinity and deck-level pools with concrete shuttering blocks
Pool owners who want to save money and have more control over the progress of the project do not want to hire pool specialists.
For them, the construction of an infinity pool using concrete formwork blocks is the most suitable option. They can also buy the material themselves to get discounts from suppliers.
This post will explain each step of the construction process of an infinity pool if you are interested in building your own.
Many customers around the world turn to us for help with their self-built infinity pools. As an example, here’s one.
The infinity pool measures 16 meters long and 6 meters wide, with a depth of 1.30 to 2.60 meters. A small vanishing edge pool for children measures 4 meters by 2 meters.
Concrete shuttering blocks 27 cm wide are used for construction.
Technical room and surge tank built adjacent to the pool.
Two filter groups filter 40m2/h of water with salt electrolysis treatment.
An interior lining made of glass fiber reinforced resin is made by a local company.
Before the construction site begins
It’s often helpful to have the support of professionals during the design phase when building an infinity pool or a zero-edge pool. Based on photos of the site and the owner’s directions, a preliminary design and final plans can be developed.
This should include:
- A preliminary design is useful for visualizing the project; it is also needed when applying for a building permit
- Building plans should include a general plan, at least one section, and detailed drawings of the overflow concept, stairs, beach entrance, tanning shelf, etc.
- The swimming pool piping layout diagram shows how all parts will be connected and where they will be located. The plan also shows the pipes incorporated into the bottom.
- Plan for the installation of the plant room (filters and pumps for filtration, heat pump, valves, pipes, etc.).
These didactic plans help owners understand the construction phases, from earthwork to backfill before launch.
Progress on the construction of an overflow pool using concrete for mwork blocks
After earthworks have been completed, the pipes are laid on a blinding concrete surface.
In contrast to a swimming pool constructed with panels or shotcrete, where the concrete for the walls and bottom are poured simultaneously, a swimming pool constructed with concrete shuttering blocks involves several stages:
1. Casting the concrete floor after the steel reinforcing mesh panels have been laid
2. Creating the walls of the pool by raising the concrete formwork blocks. The concrete is poured as the blocks are assembled.
3. Using a filler to level out uneven surfaces and smooth the walls of the swimming pool
4. Depending on the type of liner, waterproofing may be required.
As expected, the result met the owners’ expectations. In addition to the satisfaction of completing this project, which was essential to them, significant savings were made.
Construction Choosing Conseils Morana as your construction partner for your overflow pool has many advantages.
There are many blogs on the internet that describe how people have constructed their own swimming pools; videos and photos demonstrate how individuals have built their regular swimming pools with hollow blocks. If you intend to construct an infinity pool or a deck level pool with concrete shuttering blocks, you will need a bit more than these materials. You will be provided with a full range of services by Conseils Morana, from the conception of your project to the execution of your plans and the preparation of an advice file. While the project? We will also be present. Do not worry.